A divided Supreme Court legalized Same-Sex marriage in America one month ago.
Since then, I’ve been searching to compile a list of the best gospel-centered resources on the topic of homosexuality. The aim is to help you know what to believe, and how to rightfully act and think during these times and the times ahead. It is, after all, no longer acceptable to be ignorant on this issue.
You might not be able to use every resource. That’s fine. But you should be able to find a few that peak your interest. And if you do, feel free to pass them along to other friends.
This list is certainly not exhaustive, but below are some of the best gospel-centered resources on homosexuality:
1) What Does The Bible Really Teach on Homosexuality? by Kevin DeYoung – A great place to start. Read my review of this excellent book here.
2) Love Into Light by Peter Hubbard – Powerful, biblical, compassionate. Helps leaders learn about a great opportunity for the church.
3) Washed and Waiting by Wesley Hill – Doesn’t answer all our questions, but calls Christians struggling in this area to pursue Jesus, not conflicting passions.
4) Desire and Deceit by Al Mohler – Helpful resource from one of the best Christian leaders alive.
5) Secret Thoughts of An Unlikely Convert by Rosaria Butterfield – From lesbian Professor, to married Christian woman with children.
6) Is God Anti-Gay? by Sam Allberry – Writes from experience, struggles himself with same-sex attraction.
7) Sexual Sanity for Men by David White – Good book for any guy struggling with sexual brokenness.
8) Divine Design by John MacArthur – Solid as usual from MacArthur.
9) A Queer Thing Happened to America – Michael Brown – Writes from a secular perspective, but helpful diagnosis in helping us understand where America has been, and is going, on this issue.
10) Homosexuality by Ed Welch – This short rescource gets not just to your head, but also to your heart.
11) The Bible and Homosexual Practice by Robert A.J. Gannon – I haven’t read it, but I’m told that this book is the standard on the topic.
1) So-Called Same-Sex Marriage by John Piper – This became Desiring God’s most popular blog post ever in less than three days.
2) 40 Questions for Christians Now Waving Rainbow Flags by Kevin DeYoung – Over 400k Facebook shares. Great content as usual from DeYoung.
3) Same-Sex Marriage and The Future by Russell Moore – Great word for what’s coming.
4) Did God Actually Say? Hearing God’s Voice on homosexuality from the Storyline of Scripture by Trent Hunter – Great article from the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood.
5) Love Letter to a Lesbian by Jackie Hill – I went to high school with Jackie. I remember what she was like before being converted. Helpful article from someone who knows the struggle.
6) Why Homosexuality Is Not Like Other Sins by Jonathan Parnell – Again, one of the most popular DG posts ever.
7) How To Relate to a a Relative Who is Homosexual by John Piper – Piper helps here if you have family members struggling through this.
8) The Irony in The Quest for Equality by Constantine Campbell – The ironic thing in this whole matter.
9) Talking To Your Children About Sex, Marriage, and Same-Sex Marriage by Russel Moore – Helpful read for parents.
10) Dear Christian Friends: Remember You Are Not Home by Erik Raymond – We shouldn’t be surprised. We’re in the world, but not of it.
Video and Audio
1) Panel Discussion: Justin Taylor, Kevin DeYoung, Jackie Hill Perry, and Josh Moody – An excellent intellectual conversation on homosexuality from some of the leading leaders on this topic.
2) Should I Attend My Homosexual Friend’s Wedding? by Kevin DeYoung – Some might disagree, but DeYoung says no.
3) Tim Keller on Homosexuality by Tim Keller – Keller is put on the spot with this question, and does a good job.
4) Is Gay Now The New Black? by Voddie Bachman – Voddie offers an African-American perspective.
5) What To Say To A Pastor Who Wants to Officiate a Gay Wedding? by John Piper – Biblical, humble, and practical advice from Piper.
Here’s a few Bible verses on homosexuality:
“You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination” (Leviticus 18:22).
“If a male lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to them; they have committed perversion; their blood is upon them” (Leviticus 20:13).
“For this reason God gave them up to dishonorable passions. For their women exchanged natural relations for those that are contrary to nature; and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error” (Romans 1:26-27).
“Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God” (1 Corinthians 6:9-10).
“Now we know that the law is good, if one uses it lawfully, understanding this, that the slaw is not laid down for the just but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who strike their fathers and mothers, for murderers, the sexually immoral, men who practice homosexuality, liars, perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound doctrine, in accordance with the gospel of the glory of the blessed God with which I have been entrusted” (1 Timothy 1:8-11).
1) Is It a Sin To Experience Same-Sex Attraction? by Nick Roen – Helpful read for anyone struggling with Same-Sex attraction.
2) 17 Recommended Resources on Same-Sex Attraction – Multiple great options to choose from.
3) 50 Resources for Equipping The Church on Homosexuality – A great list of resources from The Gospel Coalition.
4) The Bible and Same-Sex Relationships: A Review Article by Tim Keller – A few guys tried to make a biblical case for homosexuality. Keller wisely and winsomely deconstructs their argument.